Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

David Fernandez's Favorite Concert - Henderson!


One of Miami's most startlingly original voices in jazz is David Fernandez. His technical fluency and ease of expression on the saxophone are matched with a supple and gorgeous tone; his solos often develop into pleasing deluges of romanticism, backed up with broad harmonic intelligence and a wealth of ideas.

David has toured with Latin pop stars Chayanne, Jon Secada and Gloria Estefan, as well as jazz flute legend Nester Torres. He's shared the stage with the likes of Randy Brecker, Paquito D'Rivera, Gerry Mulligan, Bob Mintzer and Arturo Sandoval. He's currently the Adjunct Professor of Saxophones at Miami-Dade College, also

instructing at MDC-Kendall and Barry University. David has 2 albums available - "Transition Project" and "Symmetry". Both are highly recommended, with killer performances and top-notch, feast-for-the-soul compositions.

David's concert remembrance is unique, in that he was on the stage rather than in the audience. Catch a glimpse into a more intimate observance with one of jazz's most brilliant legends!


Joe Henderson - Miami University 1990's

Joe Henderson - courtesy of Verve Records


I would say the best jazz concert I have ever attended was a concert I took part in when I was at the University of Miami. We had the honor of performing with the late Joe Henderson. He had just recorded a trilogy of records that included a tribute to Miles, Billy Strayhorn, and a big band album, and I also believe he might have even done a tribute to Jobim around that era. Even more spectacular, was rehearsing with Mr. Henderson. I still have the sound of his saxophone engraved in my ears and in my mind. The bell of his saxophone was literally inches away from me since I was playing alto at the time. He had the softest,

warmest, and fullest tone I have ever heard. I also recall the forum he had where he spoke about capturing the lyrics of a song without the benefit of words and how Thelonious Monk was a big influence on his playing even though he played a totally different instrument. Finally, I also remember him dressed to impress. He wore nice trousers with a tie and suspenders. This gentleman was not only a throwback from the great Blue Note era, but an icon and a legend standing before us. A night I carry with me everyday.



Thank you, David, for fun and exclusive insight into Joe Henderson, and especially for taking part in our poll! - PC Jazz

Upcoming dates for David Fernandez include 11/30 at the Globe Cafe in Coral Gables and 12/10 at Van Dykes Cafe, Miami. His albums are available wherever jazz is sold online. For your convenience, links are provided below to albums available on Amazon. Green links take you to the album page for review and info. Below links please enjoy a video of Dave and his band!


.......





No comments:

Post a Comment